The Metamorphosis (in Sound)
Continuing the work I did last semester with my Processing-based text-to-sound project, I decided to embed one of the tracks I created in the respective text. I chose the sound generated from The Metamorphosis.
I used an Adafruit Trinket which is compatible with the Arduino IDE and is the size of my thumb. This tutorial helped me to get started storing the sound to a one megabyte SPI Flash chip. This chip can’t hold very much so I limited the track to a minute, though, I could probably double the length and still be okay with storage.
I also included an on/off switch, potentiometer for controlling volume, preamp with LM 386, and a speaker. I would like my next prototype to include a switched headphone jack that can detect when something is plugged in.
The “book” part of this project opens to reveal a graphic explaining the sound and a generated poem. The program I wrote looks for the frequency of each word in the text and the length of the word. From this data, I map the word frequency to a pitch (higher frequency equals higher pitch) and the length of the word to the length of the note. Words that meet certain criteria of word length and frequency were added to the “poem”.
found himself transformed
brown belly slightly domed
arched stiff section
bedding hardly cover
waved about helplessly
The audio track, graph, and poem read through the first few pages of The Metamorphosis.
I would like to continue to refine this circuit and produce another prototype that is embedded in the actual book! I haven’t yet decided if I’ll try to find a used copy of The Metamorphosis or if I’ll take the time to learn about book binding and fabrication and make my own. In class, it was really wonderful to see everyone passing around my book and bringing it close to their ears. Audiobooks are so passé; soundbooks are in.